stART – Library Mouse

I am very excited to join in stART, hosted by A Mommy’s Adventure for this first time this week. Our artwork is fairly sporadic at home, but this week Tornado Boy was very inspired by the book Library Mouse and he decided to create and illustrate his own book.

Library Mouse by Daniel Kirk is the story of a mouse named Sam who lives in a knot hole in a library. He decides to write and illustrate his own books and leave them in the library for the children to read. The librarian becomes very curious about who “Sam” is and wants to arrange a “meet the author” event. I’ll leave it to you to read the book and find out who the children meet. This is a really wonderful children’s book and is so worth picking up.

Tornado Boy asked if he could write his own book after reading Library Mouse. I stapled together some papers for him and helped him with the spelling for the title pages. I left the house and Tornado Dad worked with him answering his questions and helping him learn how to draw a truck. When I came home, the two of them shared the story with me. I was delighted with what they created. I scanned the book and transcribed the story. Here’s Tornado Boy’s book and story:

The Lonely Cheese - a book by Tornado Boy

Illustrated by Tornado Boy

This is the Lonely Cheese - he is unhappy.

...so he had a sandwich (cut diagonally).

Then he found his three friends,

and they played soccer.

Then he was tired so he went to bed. (The drawings are a moon, window with curtains, and his bed)

In the morning he got his keys,

and got in his car to look for his friends. (Daddy helped draw this car)

Then the Lonely Cheese got thirsty...

...so he stopped for a drink.

Then he went to find his friends.

These are his friends.

And they shared a brownie for a snack - like the Backyardigans.

Then the Lonely Cheese was happy.

I’m really hoping that this experience will help Tornado Boy to trust his creative instincts and to want to try more art projects at home. This was so much fun.

Check out what other kids are reading and doing artwork for at A Mommy’s Adventures.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
This entry was posted in Homeschooling and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to stART – Library Mouse

1. This little book is so creative and meaningful to all of you. What a treasure. My sister and daughter both homeschool. I will have them come and check this out. Great that dad did this with Little Tonado!
    .-= joyce:waddleeahchaa.com´s last blog ..Play-Doh Sea Creatures: (learning at it’s finest) =-.

2. Ticia says:

How cool! I love his story, and it’s a really complete narrative.

3. Natalie says:

We also loved Library Mouse when we read it a few weeks ago. We tried to engage Anna in making picture books, but so far she is not terribly interested in it. TB’s book is awesome – he really stuck with it and I like how he developed his own story of The Lonely Cheese. We never know what Sam created in Library Mouse :)

4. Jenny says:

Wow, he did a really great job. His illustrations are amazing, and I love his story. (My older son’s internet name is Tornado!) :)

5. JDaniel4's Mom says:

I love the pattern he had in this book with the three friends. What awesome story!

6. Oh -My! Oh-My! Oh-My! What a talented young man you have! I am SOOOO impressed! His story telling skills are awesome and the drawings are FABULOUS! This is “SUCH A KEEPER”… :-)

7. Charlene says:

Oh that is such a cute idea! Great pictures too! Dropping by via stART!

8. Janelle says:

That’s quite a story about friendship! LOVE it! I like all the cheese guys with legs.

9. I am doing a post which includes story telling tomorrow. Will link your son’s FABULOUS story as a great great example. Hope this is ok (let me know if not!)
    M x

10. Oh you! Don’t worry about replying!! Can’t reply to everything!!! ;-)

Thanks for oking the link! xx

11. Pingback: story + art = great stART – Stars, Family & Bunnies « Redtedart's Blog

12. min says:

Wow! I’m totally impressed!
    min´s last [type] ..Home School Blog Hop – Time for Mom

13. Pingback: Red Ted Art's Blog » Blog Archive » story + art = great stART – Story Telling (Stars & Bunnies)